SURFACE DESIGN

 My starting point to making a surface design was to find surfaces in the real world. Instead of going to some places I used some old photos. I all so used old knowledge and found some on the internet. As I was trying to think of surfaces I all so thought why not think about my major which is glass blowing, and how pattern and surface can be used in that art medium. 

First what is a surface design. It is were there is a surface of some kind and is made to look a pleasing to catch views eyes. Sometimes surface design has a function other than to look ornamental.  Having surface design needs some type of pattern for example like a colour that has repetition. Shapes or lines that are symmetrical all so add to the surface deign since they are repeating. Even texture is a important surface design due to how light can add or take away a showdown or a highlight an area.


Up top are some glass projects I have made. Making shapes and patterns where it is noticeable how the surface is highly impacted by light and texture. It is such an organic material were you have control but the glass is always moving with heat. Get the class to cold in a non proper temperature to cool it down it will start to strain and crack the surface. Tools that are used on the glass can easy mark the glass leaving little scratches and marks. Sometimes these marks are highly noticeable in bright light and showing the surface design to not be as clean or clear as it should be like a window in a car or house. Below are better glass artist and their ability of use of surface design. 
https://carlynraydesigns.com
Carly Ray 

https://www.firebrandglass.ca/
Tyler rock and Julia Reimer

Some other really cool surface designs that glass blowers use are like mental molds, cane, backing soda and tinny bits of glass called frit. This technique is called Murrine and the uses goes back to Roman times with mosaic tiles. Murrine are made by process called cane working where glass blowers take a lot of time and effort in laying glass by colour and shapes to stretch it out. Slowly let it cool down to room temperature and then cutting them in to even chunks of glass.


A random pattern of different murrine incorporated into blown glass by David Patchen.

Picking up a murrina sheet onto a blowpipe while blowing glass.
This is a great picture of how they roll up the glass with all the little pics of glass cane to make the murrine.
This is a great website that is not a Wikipedia page. 
https://www.muranonet.com/en-en/blogs/glossary/murrine-history-and-production-of-a-muranese-icon

Natural forms of surface design.
Above are some natural repeating patterns and surface deign. Cactus shows pattern of where the spikes are placed and texture of smooth and rough grooves. Sun flower has an organic symmetrical way to place flower pebbles and shapes repeating them selfs. Mushroom has a smooth line texture and the tree it is on has a rough wood texture. Ice has a very organic surface design where it is sooth but rough when cold and can change to a smooth texture like glass.

Last of my exploration photos are more man made surface designs. From art work to catch views walking by, to buildings functionality and, useable features to make the every day commute safer. 

M. Roth
I have learned in the past that the honeycombs have been very interesting to scientists due to the Honey Bees ability and reasonings to why they make a nest with a six sided hexagon structure. Sadly I have not had the opportunity to take an image of a honeycomb yet so I found this on off the internet, thanks to M. Roth . Chemistry all so have  have a 6 sided hexagon found naturally on this planet and it is called a benzene. Would not of thought my grade 12 chemistry would of been this helpful but I am so happy I done it. I was going to add a picture of a benzene but the best on I could find is from Wikipedia to explain the structures of a honey comb and tinny chemistry particles. Both the combs and benzene are pleasing to viewer, structural capabilities, and reasonable functions to why they are shaped as they are. 

The Rhino computer thinking and doing part.
Probably the hardest part of this assignment.
I love deigns to be some type of a pattern and symmetrical but all so love if it would something takes it's natural form from a error of some type to show how human error of control.
What will it be used for? So far for looks.
Who will be using it? I hope the world.
Does it need to be safe? Its on the computer screen for now.
Where will it's home be? My computer.
When will it be used? Oct 10
Why did I make this? To show understanding of surface design.
Texture surface? I would love for it have a smooth ish rough texture.
design surface? To look a pleasing to the eye and kinda like mosaic tile or murrine style.


This one was easy, fast one to create, and not stress full. I had a slight plan of what I was doing and the rest was just fun and easy going.




NEW PLAN
(stress plan)



Use an drawing from my art book and copy it on to rhino and re draw it.
Simple commands used.
Polyline - dot and line everything up. Gave me less smooth lines which to separate computer to hand drawing
offset - so I would not have to retrace a curve.
lock and unlock - moves and change the transparency of the back ground photo.
hatch - colouring the curves
split - if i fought with connecting curves I would cut them.
trim - trim all so worked instead of splitting up curves.
Picture - inserted my drawing

I only got half a page done because I ran out of time.
I definitely struggled a lot more with this organic drawing. Finding ends, intersection to connect more curve to and making sure the curves are not open. Hatching was an even more struggle with some curves just decided to disappear into the hatch. It was a game of making new curves at some point because I was fighting the program too much to hatch more curves. It took a lot of time but I believe it was worth it in the end.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

chess set

BLOG POST: MILESTONE PROJECTS]